France; August 2nd, 1918

My Dear People,

Just a few lines to let you know I am quite well.

We are having a quiet spell for a few days now & I suppose we will be on the 'spit and polish' stunt and do a little drill. We are camped in a nice place with plenty of trees about. It is raining heavily today. Frank Richards was shell-shocked by a big Minenwerfer during our last trip. W. Arnolds told me it affected his eyes but I suppose only temporarily or I hope so anyway. I hope he does not come back to the line as it was a Minnie that injured him the last time. These Minenwerfers are a big trench mortar shell & have a terrific explosion. One of them killed Bert Dew, practically blew him to pieces I believe.

German infantrymen towing the Minenwerfer
Harry Tralaggen has gone on blighty leave, he is going at a nice time of year. Mick Griffen is pretty right now but they are treating his ear as he has gone pretty hard of hearing. I will close now hoping you are all well & tell Nell not to worry about Frank as I expect he will be alright.

I remain

Your loving Son and Brother

Tom
German Minenwerfer